October 12, 2009

Getting Moving...

I was at work today when I got an e-mail that read:

R -

Send me the book. I'll check it out.

J

...

Before that, I was invited to write this person. My words read:

I can only imagine the battles you fought and the process of first getting published. I've never chased this and have never been anywhere near the NYC pipeline to even know how these things work. Maybe one of the agencies takes it on and sets me up with an editor that wants to take it on and we really start the fight. That's what I imagine, but there's no spine behind my imagination. I look at your work like this...the way I look at the work of true artists - that if for whatever reason, your stuff never made it out into the world, the world would have failed and become a lesser place for that failure. That sounds grandiose, I know...but I feel that way about my work - about my future work - that it's time for me to start my walk.

I needed to speak this to someone who understands. maybe you have some light to shed, maybe not. But know that I appreciate you allowing me to reach out.

Best,

Reilly Winburn

...

I had just carried a keg of Moretti through the kitchen, across the floor and to the back of the bar before I pulled out my phone to check how much time I had left to put in. His response was sitting there waiting for me. The man behind those few words is an author who I respect a great deal. I also now have to read and re-read some books because what an asshole I'd be if he finishes mine before I finish all of his - a man who has trampled the NY Times bestseller lists. I read somewhere that someone dubbed him the most important author of the last 20 years. I don't know about that...or anything...or if I would ever do what he's doing when I'm in his position. But I sent it, and I think all of this is what they call momentum. I don't really see it stopping anytime soon. I feel like I might be getting strapped into the ride...or at least finally at the front of the line. Here's to that.