October 13, 2009

I'm Not One To Plunder Unless Truly Moved...

Foran put this up. I'm stealing. We've all known this one to be coming for a long, long time. Gilliam seems to me pretty hit or miss and after Heath Ledger died, and I heard stories of Jude Law, Johnny Depp and Colin Farrell taking his place as the same actor in the same movie, I was hopefully optimistic. But come on. I immediately all but chalked it up as a fine farewell to a fine actor and began to prematurely appreciate the film for what it was - a miracle if they put something...anything together. Then I saw this...

And at some point, my easy sensibilities turned to hope...turned to something else entirely - left me wondering if this could possibly be something great, some form of terrible fortune masterpiece. Because the trailer cuts with an energy that says something close to exactly that. But it can't be, right? It has to be a bloody mess. Nothing can endure what this had to endure and make it out alive, right? I'm not so sure.