September 05, 2005

3-22-05

I saw something tonight.

It was a movie called Millions.

Looking back onto my Monopoly days, I do recall The Get Out of Jail Free Card. It was great. You could essentially shatter any and all liberal laws of the Monopoly landscape with immunity from prosecution. Or, you could throw doubles and get out in one to three rolls. It seems an absurd way to govern Monopolyland, but then again…we’re not the ones who elected a midget with a top hat into the mayor’s office, are we?

The point is, it existed in the form of either an orange or yellow card…and it had the power to make hardship disappear.

Where was I going with this? Okay, I remember…

So anyway, this movie…Millions. All I am going to tell you is that right now…I feel right. That’s not saying I live all the other moments of my life in misery. Actually, I get along quite fine. Quite fine. But personally, it’s a rare thing to feel “right.” There’s no time to explain. Either you get it or you don’t.

I’m not telling you to rush out and see this movie.

Instead, tuck it in your back pocket. Know it’s there.

A day will roll along and you’ll need getting calibrated…to find your lost tune. When that day comes, it never comes gentle. It’s going to blast you across the face…then in the gut. And sometimes, though rare…it’s going to get you somewhere off the map.

That’s when you pull it out. Slap that thing down on the table and ante up. See what happens. I realize this won’t be a universal remedy. But for me, tonight…it was. What other gauge do I have?

Even if you never see it…or if you do and it does nothing, you can still roll doubles.

But cross your fingers and hope that when they land, there’s still a game left to be played.