September 05, 2005

3-20-05

3-21-05

I am not an angry person.

It’s just that sometimes…strike that, often, I want to drive over people with my car. You see, in California, there’s this thing. This understanding where any pedestrian…at any time…without looking….has the right to cross the street. What gives? What’s the one lesson your parents taught you when you were a little kid? Other than, “Don’t eat scissors.” It was, “Look both ways before crossing the street.”

I guess in California, that mandate falls somewhere beyond, “Converse with strangers after accepting any and all of the delicious, unwrapped candy they offer.”

Maybe it’s the thought of seeing the looks in these people’s eyes…the moment before my Chevy meets their torso at a brisk 45 miles per hour. It’s not blood lust or a desire to harm. I think it’s just a certain curiosity to see if their body would be propelled either upward or outward. Is that wrong?

I am not an angry person. Actually, I believe quite the contrary. Gentle, kind, understanding. In reality though, we all fall somewhere in the middle. The only question is where. It’s an amazing contrast. The way you see yourself and the way others see you. More likely than not, it is far from what you expect.

I am not an angry person. So what then? Ambitious, kind, generous, smart, funny, handsome, charming and one of a kind...of course.

Now hold on a minute. Since it’s March Madness, allow me to self-censor and find the appropriate analogy. Only a loon picks the favorites all the way through. If you know college hoops, you know it doesn’t quite work like that. Here’s the first round:

#1 Kind vs. #16 Phony
#2 One of a Kind vs. #15 Insincere
#3 Charming vs. #14 Two Faced
#4 Funny vs. #13 Unrealistic
#5 Smart vs. #12 Misguided
#6 Generous vs. #11 Self Absorbed
#7 Ambitious vs. #10 Naive
#8 Handsome vs. #9 Arrogant

In a perfect world, there would be no upsets. Am I saying this isn’t a perfect world? Um…not yet. Let’s just say I’m straddling a fence with sharp, masculinity threatening points at the top. So it’s in my best interest to get off. I’m just not ready.

In reality, my tourney is just like the real tourney. If you are going to bet on anything, bet on upsets. What’s not to love? The dreams of all but one team are crushed. It’s beautiful, and I’ll tell you why.

There’s this thing…immortality. You can’t see it, but trust me, it’s there…waiting to be captured. Maybe this will be the year. Since Optimism always beats Pessimism in my pre-season NIT championship, I can say it like I have said it many times before. This will be the greatest tournament to date…unforgettable.

I just hope it goes wire to wire with last minute heroics.

The never fade type.