June 20, 2010

This One's Loaded...

I came to the bottom of Bali with plans to post a good time in the race - to deal with obstacles of living like a vagabond and putting myself together enough to run well. That happened yesterday (video below is all pre-race). The actual race felt like business, good business, getting caught in a current and then taking on and handling madness. I adore madness. Feels like it's growing fond of me too.

Last night, I was talking about something with a few of the fine friends I picked up over the weekend - that what I was hoping before I came into Jimbaran was that there would be a batch of people coming together who were like me - craving some kind of fight like me, because all I've been so far in my training is an outcast. And I like that, make no mistake. It absolutely suits me, but I guess I wanted to mix things up for a weekend, welcome change. I painted all that in my head, these ideas that I would meet great people and forge great bonds and then we would all go back out into our worlds but somehow always stay connected. Though, I didn't actually think all those things would happen, not the way I am...not the way I behave...

But they did.

Towards the end of the night, my friend Kyle and I and two beautiful, beautiful dames were sitting on cushioned recliners looking out at the water and waves, a handful of dazzling mojitos down and he says to me something like, you're going to leave this place and go on about your travels through the world and see everything and do everything...but once that's over and you're sitting back at home, looking back, you're going to think of this place, Bali...and you'll never forget the feeling. I remember thinking I'll look forward to that...

Also...even though this absolutely deserves its own post...

My Conversation With The "Am I Taking A Movie? I So Am..." Girl Who I Met Through Kyle And Corrie Who Lives In Jakarta With Her Husband And Three Boys, Has Always Lived Internationally And Decided To Pop-In To Bali For A Couple Days To Meet Them And Happen Upon Me, Towards The End Of The Night...After Weighing Me For Most Of It...

*Key - AUGUST = The girl who beat me up bad, bad from late summer through most of the fall in 2008...and I have the posts to prove it.

I think I know someone I should set you up with.
That's what they all say.
No, really. I've known her since I was 14.
Okay go. Where?
Los Angeles.
Oh, my city.
Yeah, I've got a feeling here.
What's her name, I probably already know her.
Yeah, right. AUGUST.
Excuse me?
AUGUST. Her name is AUGUST.
That's not a very common name.
Why are you looking at me like that?
No reason...
Why are you looking at me like that?
It's just...I think you're about to tell me about a friend of yours in Los Angeles who is the same girl that I dated, briefly, the same girl who cut me good, really fucking good when she dropped me, and I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all.
You're fucking with me?
No. You're fucking with me?
No. AUGUST SEPTEMBER. LIVED IN THESE PLACES, DID THESE THINGS...
That's her.
You're...
Absolutely not.
Wow. Nailed it! Her look seemed like your type.
Well, it was.
That's insane, I almost don't believe you.
Ask her about me sometime. Maybe she'll tell you that - that I was insane - that was popular for a little while.
Are you?
What do you think?