March 25, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are...

So anyone who has had a childhood or had a child, or grandchild in the last 50 years - everyone - has to be at least a little curious about the release of the forever in the works, "Where The Wild Things Are" movie. If you don't spend your life obsessing and living in and around the Hollywood community, you probably don't know that whispers have been on the downturn for some time now. I can tell you that Spike Jones is a genius and he directed it...and that he wrote the script with Dave Eggers, who is absolutely a genius. The cast is genius and everything about this movie seemed to have everything in line to be a monster - and I guarantee it will be, no matter what the first word is. But, but, but...if you're obsessive like me, you know they've been making this movie FOREVER...and that they've been re-shooting...and spending tons and tons of money...and with all that baggage comes the likely behind door battles...which undoubtedly lead to compromise. So maybe you can feel I've got a little cynical on my tongue, but that doesn't mean I'm not rooting for it. That doesn't mean I'm not a little crazy for it.

It's not just because someone ponied up coin enough for the right to blend what looks to be wondrous footage with one of the 3 greatest songs ever created, Arcade Fire's "Wake Up." It's not just because I'm being bought by that...because that exact thing worries me as much as it gives me hope.

Please enjoy. I did. I am...