October 07, 2008

Nick and Norah...



Last night, I caught something close to the midnight show. And let me start by saying a few things. Like that I love Michael Cera, and that Kat Dennings was refreshing. And that this movie also uses pop-in cameos by cast members of SNL that I DVR and watch every week because I'm a huge, steaming fan of the show. Andy Samberg and Seth Meyers. And that it has all this great music throughout and it's like all these components are there to make this sweet little movie about two kids chasing music and falling in love in New York. And then...it just fucking sucks. It's like someone forgot they were making a movie - like the movie was just a vehicle for the music - and I don't, DO NOT walk out of movies. This one brought me closer than any I ever remember.

If you've seen it and want to battle me on this one, don't. The gum? Seriously? How did that shit make it out of a first draft? Despicable, like blowing a cannonball through the hull of an already sinking ship.

I absolutely wanted to love Nick and Norah. Going in, I thought it would be exactly my style - before I found out it wasn't. But the kicker came towards the end, when Michael Cera was driving his Yugo, alone, through the streets of New York - and Modest Mouse came on...Little Motel. And I thought to myself...you didn't earn that -- didn't even come close. I'm taking it back. I'm taking them all back.