October 23, 2008

Bitches Be Crazy...

I just got back from a Magnolia dinner and a night with a small fistful of my dearest friends in Los Angeles. One of them came toting a new girl who was in from out of town. Before I met her, he so affectionately dubbed her, "Stop Gap." Once I met her, she affectionately dubbed herself...I don't recall. Point is, she didn't mind either - was well aware of the situation at hand. Cool girl. I'll see her once more and then never again, but cool girl.

See, he just recently got out of a relationship. And by got, I mean...we'll get to that. By relationship, I mean he was in something pretty deep, heart on the line sort of business. For him, it was rare. For me, she was great and great for him. At a point, they hit this crossroads - both being performers, in the business of performing where they were going to be apart for a short period of time. It was going to be a test, no doubt, but they were solid, they were fierce, they were good.

It took a couple weeks before they weren't, and she broke up with him and crushed him and cut him down at the knees. And for him, when I tell you this is rare, believe that this is rare. Then 5 days later, on their 1 year anniversary, she gets married. After 5 days. On their one year anniversary. Married. Poor girl.

And now all I can do is listen, and try to hear and hope he's healing because man, that's vicious. But in the long run, in the grand scheme, I can tell you I'm not worried about my boy. Right now, maybe. Down the line, my worry is on her. Not a doubt in my mind.

I just got back from seeing Maroon 5 play a short set at the Hollywood Palladium. It was this great and sincere but at the same time, totally phoned in welcoming performance for the Breeder's Cup that's happening this weekend at Santa Anita. The drinks were free and when I walked down to the floor, I found myself standing about 3 rows from the stage. There wasn't much of a push.

And I dig Maroon 5. Sometimes, they even creep onto my playlists. Sometimes, I feel Adam Levine - our pens dance with the same bloody ink. So it was a decent LA Thursday and I'm home by midnight...

But I can't help this lingering feeling. From seeing my friend in the shape he's in (good, but still) to this very good band asking the crowd if they were awake...

Both deserve so much better. Sometimes, we all deserve so much better.

It's getting darker here earlier. When I left to go out tonight at 7, the skies were already black. And I don't know what happened to my sunlight. And I don't know how I missed the shift, but it's here.