February 02, 2009

There Goes The Neighborhood...

I can't say that Team Burn is going to be particularly excited about this one, but me and Durban finally broke ground on the novel we've been threatening. Okay, novella. Either way, it's going to be a bit of a departure. I can't quite wrap my head around a knockout script idea - and until I can, there's little use diving into something for the sake of. Since not writing or taking much of a break isn't a realistic option, I gotta keep moving...and in this case, I'm moving forward with an unstable collaborator. Today, he sent me a piece with an attached header, "crush back ut-fuck." Obviously, he meant to say nut-fuck but hardly believes in a one line proofread. The first thought I had, I had never heard that used before...nut-fuck. It makes no sense. None of this makes any sense and you can call me ill-led, but the thought of diving into senseless right now lights me up, me and Durban. I'm riding that. That's what I'm riding.

We both have this thing that's probably not very charming to anyone outside the two of us -- belief that we're literary gods in the ripening. I suppose only time will tell. But I can tell you this...the novel, the novella...anything that takes time and genuine thought to consume in this world is going extinct. We're ending. When our children's children rule the world, there won't be a world left to rule. I can't explain how that exact notion is going to relate exactly to our mighty pens, but it will.

Tragic, romantic, ridiculous, fitting. Durban And The Burn, Sweethearts...Durban And The Burn.