February 27, 2009

First Ear Phenomena...

I talk a lot on here about hearing a song for the first time...or maybe I talk a lot about it in life -- to anyone who will listen -- this idea of a drop or beat or croon actually, physically changing me...the idea that I remember forever, the first time I hear a certain song and the way it makes me feel, about how it latches on and becomes a part of the path of the rest of my life. Yes, that heavy. I'd like to think that everything done here is done in an attempt to honor the everyday profound and to me, music has the skills...

I've been writing all day today minus the 3 hour workout break I took in the early afternoon and was just re-reading a passage that inspired two thoughts. The first was about how a potential editor is going to deal with my form of expression when they read something like...

"I got up and started to walk, watching as I moved, the lightning cutting reveals into the jagged and abandoned land. Within minutes, my entire body was soaked. Drops of water were forming on my brow, would drip as I'd blink, fighting to see far enough ahead to merely place one foot in front of the next, to stay on the path of that black and invisible road. I hadn't yet turned to double back, not yet having any intention to return home, to my room at Villa Holiday Beach and the storm was growing. At the end of the Perissa beaches, there's a road to Oia that splits through the middle of two imposing hills and crosses through the center of the island. I stood before it and thought of it as a passage, because between strobes of the sky, it looked almost mythological, as if braving that road, that night would transport me anywhere...on Earth or in my dreams. I remember it gave me vicious chills, introduced me to a fear of grandeur. Maybe for the first time in my life, I thought of the possibility of something in this life existing that was bigger than myself."

The second thing...what was the first song that did it to me...the first time I remember experiencing what I just recently dubbed First Ear Phenomena. The answer came quick and easy. It was this song...and I wanted to honor that...