July 09, 2010

Unawatuna & Galle

I'm pretty sure I've started posts in the past with a line that goes something like let me tell you how precious I am...

And I'd use it again, but for fear of redundancy, I'll go in a more direct direction and not try so hard to sound cute - the last fucking thing I would ever try and sound like. I don't know why I am the way I am - I think we all have nuances that to others would seem petty and not exactly favorable and easy to break or reform...but in reality, make us exactly who we are - like we lag in some areas only to thrive in other, unidentifiable ones. I was standing in line for Sri Lankan customs, realizing I had done self check-in at the airport in KL, realizing no one had looked at my ticket and passport at the same time, realizing that there was a very real possibility that the visa restrictions I have been trying to ignore for the last 2 months would finally catch up to me. I walked up to the guy checking me out in Colombo with my fingers crossed from the yellow line, literally. If you were behind me in line, seeing me sweat, believing in voodoo...I'm certain you would have been certain a mule was slipping through before I slipped through.

Two days ago, sitting in my room, not sleeping, I had this feeling about the kingdoms I was about to enter, India and China, and that traveling like a cowboy, light and sexy as it may have been up until that point, was going to have me waiting for visas in two countries for at least 5 business days each...which turned out to be both true and then not as bad as it could have been. I am at a house away from town, in the middle of what fees like a jungle, staying with a group of people that feel like a family, entirely not worried about my own survival.