May 03, 2009

Blog Sex 2...

Running builds character. If you're a runner, you know this. If you're not a runner, you've likely spent far too much time contemplating how the act itself isn't right for you or your body. I get it, I absolutely do. In fact, I've spent most of my life doing the same thing, everyone does...and I'm about to run my 3rd marathon. Like all of the finer things in life, the act of running, to most people, makes little sense.

Today, we're going to stop talking and set you off on one of my favorite workouts that will, I promise, build character. In 21 days, I'm running the LA Marathon with an aim of finishing under 3:11:00. If I can manage to stay below that time, I'll qualify for Boston. So...all this work, just to run another marathon? I know. We've already discussed how non-sensical this is, just let it go.

To get faster and stronger, I knew I would have to design a route that constantly tested and pushed both aspects of my training. I went to Google maps and plotted the distance of a home-centric Los Angeles lap: Melrose to La Cienega to Santa Monica to Crescent Heights - 2.19 miles. I knew the route was graded. It meant that no matter which direction I was moving, I would always have an up-hill and I would always have a down-hill. This is important. Monotony has its place out there on the road, just not in this workout. The first time I ran the route, maybe 10 weeks ago, I ran four laps around 15:20 per lap. Keep your times. Recently, my good laps have been reading in the 13:50's...usually occurring on the last lap of the run. Every week for the past 10 weeks, as I crossed the finish and watched my times shrink (our aim), I felt strength. I felt like I was growing. That's why I'm here, telling you to try it. If you commit, really commit to getting under the surface of this run, it becomes something bigger than getting in shape.

Here's the recipe...

- Pick a smart route that's graded and Google it. Make a strong but realistic choice on your distance. You can always add later. If you live in the city, pick a route where a stoplight wont stop you, where you can always turn in and cut over without sacrificing time or distance. Obviously, a square route is optimal.

- Start strong. First lap should be your second fastest. Wind yourself slightly, it's okay. Overshoot, it's okay. Second two laps should be maintaining. Last lap is your anchor - your fastest lap.

- Attack the hills. Don't fall behind on the climbs - they're there to be nasty, let them be. Don't coast running down hill - push that speed. If we're always trying to better our time, these two legs of each lap are key.

- Run with grace. Do everything in life with grace, obviously...but especially here. This workout is designed to push your heart and mind. There's a ticking clock on your shoulder. Let it push you harder than you would otherwise want to push.

- Be relentless. The body is going to give you a thousand reasons to quit...and the harder things get, the more intelligent and rational these reasons become. Don't listen. Power through. This is good for you. This will save you. Listen to me instead, think about everything your body was telling you AFTER you finish.

That's it. It doesn't matter if your laps are quarter miles or 10's. It doesn't matter if you're sprinting or walking...as long as you're making strong choices. If you don't know what that means, eventually you will...or keep reading and maybe I'll cover that next time. But for now, dive in. Find yourself a battle out there...

Accept it, love it, tell me about it.