February 03, 2011

Speaking Of...


First images of Walter Salles' On The Road have been circling today. First glance, something about this just doesn't feel right. Maybe because about a week ago, we were talking about actual Kerouac writing actual Brando to make this movie. Now, 50 years later, here it comes with Garrett Hedlund and Sam Riley as Dean and Sal. And yeah, that's Kristen Stewart in on another "let's go looking for the faded relevance of an old classic, but today." Is it strange to anyone else that the people most profoundly affected by this book are either dead or disconnected from this generation's actors? This is an objective stance, mind you, because I like Kristen Stewart, and Garrett Hedlund, and Sam Riley, and Walter Salles, whose Motorcycle Diaries is incredibly precursor to this...so it all makes sense. Everything makes sense...but it doesn't feel quite right. I took On The Road for what it was when I read it, a visit. It's sitting on my shelf, and I would have no problem visiting it again. This isn't my rebellion against something. It's not that. To be quite honest, of course I'm going to see this movie. But something here feels abused...