November 17, 2010

The Beatles...


There are times to hold steady and brick-headed in this world and then there are times to let go. I don't know exactly what The Beatles longstanding fight with iTunes was all about, though I suspect if I started throwing around bloated words like pride, bastardization and expectation, someone would say something like say no more you got it right there.

I have never been a MONSTER Beatles fan - and yes, I'm using caps to explain. Once. There have always been about 20 songs lurking around my iTunes that I had swiped over the years, nowhere near the amount I should have had. My Old Man once told me you were either Beatles or Stones. He was Stones, so I became Stones. I always loved The Beatles, but they were more in my periphery. To so many people, they were and still are the be-all-end-all, and I can absolutely accept that.

Anyway, the reason I sat down and started writing this is because I've already plucked a few songs since they became available on iTunes yesterday, fucking remarkable songs, songs I feel like I should have always had on my journey or behind my pen...all of this time. I'm starting to see Beatles songs creep up and move across the iTunes top 200, handfuls and handfuls of them. I'm looking at some of the songs they're standing next to and for some reason, this morning, I'm breathing easier. Without getting too caught up in my perception of youth's narrow vision and emotion/how 75% of the songs we're buying and playing and #1'ing are disposable shit at best, made because people need to get drunk and get high and get fucking, yo, The Beatles are giving me breath.

Say no more.