February 16, 2010

Thank You Mr. Z...


Who has been catching a lot of flak for coming out and saying that the new "We Are The World" song and video should never have happened. A very smart man, he likened the original song to an "untouchable" piece of work, comparing it to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Mr. Carter is a very smart man - smart enough to hide his disdain in the form of a tribute to the late, great Michael Jackson. Very smart man. Also a man who came out and wrote a brilliant and original song of his own with Bono and Rihanna the minute after the Haiti earthquake. So in my book, this guy earned the right to say exactly what he wants. I'm writing him into this intro because I feel like if we sat down and chatted through our feelings on the subject, his would mirror at least a shade of a dimension of mine.

I texted a 10 dollar donation in through my phone. Because of that small decision, I feel I have the right to feel what I feel. Naturally, I'm going to say what I want regardless. I was picking up food from Kings Road cafe on Saturday and saw the We Are The World video playing on the TV. It was fucking grotesque. Fucking grotesque. I have no other words to explain my reaction. I was out with a many times mentioned star on this blog, Miss Lindsey, and I confessed my feelings and told her I felt like I had lost my appetite and that I understood what an awful person that makes me, to see poison in something that's supposed to be so gifting as this. But that's my truth. That's my guts. Evil or not, I have come to accept everything they make me.

So what's the problem? It's insincere. It's fucking gross. It's every publicist in town making a mad dash to get their clients in this berserk assembly of note competing, hand waving, fighting for camera time madness. It's madness, fucking madness. Watch this thing, really watch it. All I know is that if I were an artist in the position to do something like this, and I heard about what it was going to be, I wouldn't even hesitate to pass. I'd write a check and walk it down to the closest red cross (which I know, many of them have) or whatever and then I'd sit at home and try my hardest, my fucking hardest to grasp what catastrophic destruction would feel like if it happened in my own backyard. That's what I did. That's what honoring their world meant to me. To each their own, I know...and I respect that, more than anyone, believe me. But still. Still.

If someone came up to me and told me I was an awful person, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves, maybe fight them, spit in their faces, tell them they know nothing about me. Not a fucking thing. This is all right. Correct. Founded.