November 10, 2009

Brentwood League Champions...


Sometimes it's funny to find what things occupy time and heart in life as we go and go and go. For me, for the past 6 months, one night a week goes to dodgeball. Tonight, the team I play on in Brentwood took the crown. When I was 9 years old and playing baseball, the team I was playing for, Lake Forest, went up against the unbeatable Highland Park to see who would take the North Shore crown. They were undefeated and we were just beginning to come into our own as a town youth program. I remember it was tied 1-1 at the end of the game and they brought in this pitcher who threw hard, so fucking hard that you couldn't even see the thing and I came up and hit a home run and we won the crown. That was a good day. Tonight felt like that - not because I hit a home run or anything really equivalent, but because we took the title. Seriously great. The things that occupy time and heart...

Rumors started to float around the bar that we now get to play the champion of West Hollywood (also play on a team there) on the floor of the Staples center during halftime of a Lakers game (probably Clippers though...let's be serious). We played flip cup and people started to get really drunk and I stepped back because there were times and places for that in my life. Worlds ago, years ago. I'm drying out and have no problem with that. There were plenty of champions behaving like champions without me.

Awesome.