November 29, 2009

3:19:08...


Getting there. Brutal course. There's more in the tank, I know. Mile 24 was a flat 6 minutes. 25 and 26 were 6:30's. I was finishing like a rabid motherfucker and some talented burner turned over his shoulder and said something exactly like, Jesus Christ dude. Felt good, felt strong. Felt like I can in the future get it under 3, then to 2:45, then who knows. I feel like I'm on the edge of picking up a sponsor and if that happens, who knows. Last night, I was watching the replay of the Ironman in Kona and the winners were all in their 30's - at their peak. Who knows.

Today, I ran with my dad and brother. There were two points in the course where there was a doubleback, where we could pass each other and slap hands and fists. It was a little cold and dark and drizzling and we were suffering for something together and potentially intangible but it obviously became something else. Seeing the look on my old man's face, twice and then at the finish - 50 some years old and conquering today. It was a life moment. I'll remember it forever - this Sunday.