June 21, 2009

"This may be the best live performance I've ever seen, Yes Yes?"

Quoted from my brother, the only remaining Mozart I know, taken from this...

To which I returned, and now share:

Well picked and well played. And being a musician, I'm sure it's hitting on levels I can't even hear. That song has so many dimensions, literally it's like a fucking journey. What got me, though, was when the breakdown comes - and Ed O'Brien is just sitting on the stage - mouthing the words, looking a little toolsy. Then I kept watching to see him get upstaged by one of the Greenwoods bouncing around and singing to himself - going fucking nuts to a song he'd heard or performed 1000 times already, likely...like he's dying to be it or get in it before it gets sent out into the world. That's fire, or gravity...like it's so heavy it's pulling 'em down. That's what it takes to be one of the all time greats, that's what I'm thinking. We're talking 3-4 bands ever, are we not? And they could certainly make a case to land at the top, yes yes?