June 06, 2009

Excerpt #1 - Paris

Writing a book can be an occupying task. Me and Durban ran through the first swing and are now in the process of drafting - which falls mostly on my shoulders...but that was the deal. Stick to strengths. Anyway, I have little clue what to even try to do with this thing once we're done, and I've found that to be something of a comfort..to just focus on the work and not on a theory of hope that's doomed me in the past. So anyway, this is going to be long and arduous in all the best of ways, and I don't believe in self promotion totally (see entire blog to refute this statement)...but what I do believe in is promoting Durban and his work because I think he's a lunatic genius and because our work is going to be housed together and under the same roof - thus indirectly promoting my own work at the same time. As we get through these second drafts, I'm going to start posting pieces...some sort of prelude to the entirety, if you will, starting now, with Monsieur Durban...

His eyes lit so bright when she called. I’ll never forget it. I ordered a drink, followed him out into the hallway, keeping my distance, out of sight. Poor kid, I thought, no one deserves what he was about to go through. Personally, I’m a man who finds beauty in life’s less finer things, believe there’s nothing so beautiful as a broken heart. As much as it pained me to watch the suffering of my newfound friend, there would have been nothing in the world worthy of prying my eyes from him. I watched, and I sipped my drink and I waited and felt the imminent rush of destruction approaching.

There was a point in the conversation where he turned to face me perfectly, just as his world began to change, and he held steady, and I was able to see everything in his face, the moment of it all, the moment she so bravely told him. I was so proud of her, watching him unfold, knowing how few would be either willing or able to give him freedom like that. That fucking whore. She would never find someone one tenth of him. That lunatic cunt. I wanted to kiss her and rip out her throat. I wanted to fuck her and saw her in half. I watched as a seam opened along the front and center of Burn’s body and I waited and watched as if the whole of his insides were going to spill out onto the floor. They didn’t. He covered his brow with a hand and began to walk in circles, rushed and moving and I knew in that moment my actions had cauterized a bond between us. He was now my responsibility. Whatever fate he sought for the rest of his life, I would have no choice but to adopt it as my own…and I was willing and ready for that.