December 01, 2008

T.A.T.U.


Tonight, I found myself stumbling, fumbling through old tunes looking for a find. Teaching 5 spin classes a week, it's tough to stay fresh. Tonight, I grabbed a semi-forgotten gem. T.A.T.U. - "All The Things She Said." You know, those two girls who may or may not have pretended to be lesbians (doubt it, who kisses like what's coming below?) to give their record worldwide wings. You know, where one of them was sensationally hot and the other one was, well...keeping up her part of the lesbian bargain -- pretty, sure...but not as pretty as the pretty one.

I'll never, ever forget the first time I heard it. I landed in Florence and had taken a cab across town to this house where my at the time girl was living. It was sometime in 2002 - no, right around Thanksgiving. I know because I spent Thanksgiving that year in London, in some underground restaurant with plaid carpets and wood pillars and faux lanterns and it was 5 courses and it was amazing.

Anyway, I was waiting for my girl, messing with the 3 channel TV when I stopped on MTV Europe or something like it. The video was just starting. And I think it was in Russian - because they are - and I remember being overcome, instantly feeling like there was this whole other world of amazing music out there that was untapped, untouched...

Not so much. I later found out they were already budding across the globe...or that they would be soon. And thinking back now, they're probably the ONLY thing that has ever made it so far out of that damn frozen country. All it took was a gimmick.

Anyway, I'm starting class with it tomorrow, because it kicks, and because it's memories and because honestly, how fucking sensationally absurd was this video, the exact form I saw that day in Florence...