May 20, 2008

Dried Strawberries and Jasmine, Maybe...

I guess it doesn’t matter. The point is that the smell has been draped upon me, stuck to my clothes like the clinging of cigarette smoke…but a good thing.

I’m closing in on a wall, right about to drive my face straight into it. Last night, I ran home from work so I could make it out for cocktails. Past midnight, all I could think to order was Walker with cubes. They ran fast, soothing, and things were good. Two hours prior, this girl had given me her number, the kind of girl whose number I would generally ask for but this time didn’t have to. So I had to find out about that…

My alarm went off this morning at 6:07, woke me from my 3 hour whiskey nap. I ran to the gym because going out is poor excuse to cut life corners. If I slept with her, I’d be writing about the dogs of Santorini or nothing at all. This should be clear and obvious.

The music was loud, lights pulsing. I was wandering when I crossed her by the bar. She reached out and touched my face and I let her. I looked to her and she let me.

Outside, after all that goes unsaid occurred, I took a cheek and spoke goodnight. As I passed her friend, I was stopped. She told me to be careful, concerned…for me.

I laughed.

She asked why.

I was already running home.