October 06, 2006

Barcelona...


Her majesty is beautiful...this city of Spain. Queen Barcelona. She stretches high above any these eyes have yet seen in this month of travel. Trying to wrap it all up here, now, is utterly daunting. I´m not going to do that.

Yesterday, I was walking back from a day spent at the beach...through the main park, past the Barcelona Zoo. There was a child with his mother. I saw it in his eyes, the utter ecstasy only a child can produce. The great and rare animals of the world, all wrapped up in an afternoon, all in his backyard. Doubting the courier of good fate would even think to deliver anything else, he saw it...a spore ball on the ground. Suddenly, impossible spun possible...and his day was about to get even better. At least so he thought...

His mother told him to leave it be...which he refused. And turning himself around, he threw it up into the air just as the wind changed direction, unloading millions of lung clogging parasites into his fragile little body.

He maneuvered evasively but it was too late. He was already chagging...and violently. If a sneeze, choke and gague could meet and have furious sex...this boy was its father. His mother rolled her eyes in a, "You should have listened. Now, you will die because of your reckless insistence...just like your father."

Of course, she said this in Catalan.

When I laughed out loud she turned, caught me with a stare so dirty, I had to check and make sure I wasn´t made of stone. Then the guilt hit...laughing at this poor, helpless child and his lone moment of misforture on what would have otherwise been a perfect, shiny and happy day. Guilt...realization that I lack compassion, heart. Guilt...fear of the animal I´m becoming. Guilt...it wasn´t so long ago that I was considered in some circles to be a decent man...

Guilt...but really, only cause she caught me.

Hilarious.